Sunday, August 5, 2012

AMK


The Tetons are the iconic mountains of Wyoming and for good reason. Rising abruptly, they tower 6,000 feet over flat river bottoms and sagebrush in rocky escarpments and snowfields. I've been hiking and climbing in the Tetons since I was 10 years old. Every summer I make my annual trip back; to climb, fish, and relax in some of the most beautiful scenery in the world.


Forever Home


Wildfire Smoke Infused Sunset over the Snowy Mountains

I spent a day fishing with my Dad outside of Laramie. 

My Dad Likes to Fish





Then I drove through more wildfire smoke...




Driving over Togwotee pass I entered another world. Clear skies, green foliage, and snow covered mountains. 


My best friend Zac spends a large part of his summers in the Tetons with his family. Zac's dad, Hank Harlow, is a zoology professor at the University of Wyoming and he's the director of UW's research center for the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. The research station is called the AMK, and is on the shores of Jackson Lake, near Leeks Marina. Built in the 1920's, it's filled with historical structures among one of the most spectacular backdrops in the world. The Harlow's have been spending their summers here for close to 20 years. 




The Harlow's are a second family to me and staying at the AMK with them is a highlight of every summer. 

Zac Harlow

Tyler Harlow

Zac, Tyler, and Hank


No trip to the AMK is complete without a climbing trip in the Tetons and this year was no different, but more on that later. While not climbing or hiking in the Tetons, the AMK is the place to be. It's a sanctuary, and there is no better place to recover after a big trip in the mountains. Here's to one of my favorite places in the world...


Canoeing on Jackson Lake



Grand Teton Poking out of the Clouds



Prairie Smoke 

All Flower Pots in Wyoming Have Been Shot 

The Coolest Place to Be in the Tetons. The Boat Dock. 



Old Gas Pump

Gas Used to Be Cheaper


Clover




No comments:

Post a Comment